当前位置

首页 > 口语英语 > 实用生活英语口语 > 学英语不可不知的习语

学英语不可不知的习语

推荐人: 来源: 阅读: 1.03W 次

学英语不可不知的习语


Misery loves company :同病相怜

Misery loves company的意思是同病相怜,比喻因有同样的遭遇或痛苦而互相同情.或者因为自己不开心或痛苦,也不想其他人好过.

A: Why is Linda criticizing everybody today?

为什么今天琳达批评所有人?

B: Her boss criticized her this morning, and misery loves company.

今天早上她上司批了她一顿,她也不想别人好过.




stand a chance:有可能,有希望

stand a chance 是指有可能,有希望;stand a chance (of doing something)是指做某事有可能做成,有可能成功.通常用在否定的形式(not stand a chance)

His opponent did not stand a chance.
他的对手毫无取胜的机会

I don't think they stand a chance of winning.
我看他们没有获胜的希望.

Do you think I stand a chance of winning first place?
你认为我有希望拿第一吗?

Everyone stands a chance of catching the disease.
每个人都有可能得这种病.




Nice try:想得美

表面上好像是在夸别人'做得好、干的漂亮',而多数情况下意思是'想得美、得了吧',是一种反讽.

另外,当别人很努力做某事却失败的时候,你也可以拍拍肩膀对他说Nice try,这时就有鼓励、安慰的意思了.所以大家要把握好说话的语境.

Nice try. I wasn't born yesterday, you know.
想得美,我又不是三岁小孩儿.




clear the air:澄清事实,消除误会,消除紧张(或误解、疑虑、担忧等)气氛.

Although I'm still upset with Jenny for what she did, I plan to call her and clear the air.

虽然我还是对Jenny说的话耿耿于怀,但我还是决定打电话给她解除误会.

All right, let's discuss this frankly. It'll be better if we clear the air.

好吧,我们都说实话.把事情讲清楚会更好.

If we want to keep this customer, we must have a meeting to clear the air about the recent customer complaints.

如果我们要留住这个客户,我们必须约他们面谈,澄清误会,解决近期出现的客户投诉问题.





lose one's mind的意思是抓狂、发疯、失去理智,常见的有lose my mind,lose your mind等等.

Taking a child on a motorbike without a helmet! Have you completely lost your mind?

骑摩托车带孩子却不带头盔,你是不是疯了?

Do you lose your mind? You want to marry that guy?
你一定是昏了头吧?你想嫁给那个家伙?

The stress of this movie is making me feel like i'm losing my mind.

这部电影给我的压力使我抓狂.

He was not the only prisoner to lose his mind.

他不是唯一一个失去理智的囚犯.




get/have cold feet

to suddenly become nervous about doing something that you had planned to do 临阵胆怯:畏缩

He was going to ask her but he got cold feet and said nothing.

他本来是想向她提出邀请的,可事到临头他却胆怯得什么也没有说.




not sleep a wink:一点儿都没睡,根本没睡

sleep a wink的意思是睡一会儿,打个盹儿[用于否定句、条件句或疑问句.

not sleep a wink意思是一点儿都没睡,根本没睡.与not get a wink of sleep同意.

I was so excited last night - I didn't sleep a wink.

我昨晚兴奋得一晚没睡.

I can't stand Dad's snoring anymore, mom. I didn't sleep a wink last night.

妈,我再也忍受不了老爸的鼾声了.我昨晚整夜都没合上眼.




no strings (attached):无附加条件,不求回报

1.无附带条件,无限制,不求回报

It is ok, I will do you a strings attached!

没事儿,我会帮你,不图回报!

I got a loan of £3000 with no strings attached .

我得到了一笔3000英镑的贷款,无任何附加条件.

2.有对象了,但还与别人约会;暧昧关系

Having regular, no-strings-attached sex with someone you're not romantically involved with has become such a cultural phenomenon that it's acquired a name --"friends with benefits."




a big fan of 意思是非常喜欢...;是...的迷

今后如果要表达很喜欢什么东西,就可以不用like sth very much了.

I'm a big fan of rock music!

我是一个摇滚乐迷!

My parents are Italians. So I am a big fan of pizza.

我的父母是意大利人,所以我很喜欢披萨.

Mr Crist is known to be a big fan of alternative energy.

克莱斯特由于热衷于可替代能源而被大家所知.

My grandfather is a big fan of tea.

我的爷爷很爱喝茶.




tangle with:与...争吵;与某人厮混

1. 与某人争吵;与某人发生纠纷;与某人发生冲突

I don't want to tangle with city hall.

我不想和政府发生纠纷.

Martin tangled with her over the question.

马丁和她在那个问题上发生争执. 

2. 与某人厮混

He has been tangling with some rough boys.

他和几个野孩子在一起鬼混.

另外,tangle with someone or something (over someone or something),加了over,意思是关于某人某事发生争执、纠纷或争吵.

Jimmy tangled with Kate over the children.

吉米因为孩子的问题和凯特发生了纠纷.

I hope I don't have to tangle with the bank over this loan.

我不想因为贷款和银行发生纠纷.