当前位置

首页 > 英语阅读 > 英语小故事 > 双语畅销书《我是马拉拉》第16章:悲伤之谷(2)

双语畅销书《我是马拉拉》第16章:悲伤之谷(2)

推荐人: 来源: 阅读: 7.76K 次

It was 24 July 2009, a week after our prime minister had announced that the TAliban had been cleared out.

双语畅销书《我是马拉拉》第16章:悲伤之谷(2)
那是2009年7月24日,在我们的总理宣布塔利班已经被彻底消灭的一个星期之后。

He promised that the gas supply had been restored and that the banks were reopening, and called on the people of Swat to return.

他保证燃气供给已经恢复,银行已重新运营,呼吁民众返回斯瓦特。

In the end as many as half of its 1.8 million population had left our valley.

斯瓦特拥有180万人口,有一半离开了我们的河谷。

From what we could see, most of them weren't convinced it was safe to return.

就我们所知,多数人都不认为这里已经安全到可以返回。

As we drew close to home we all fell silent, even my little brother, Atal the chatterbox.

离家越近,我们变得愈加沉默,就连总是喋喋不休的小弟弟阿塔尔也一言不发。

Our home was near Circuit House, the army headquarters, so we were worried it might have been destroyed in the shelling.

我们家邻近环形屋——军方的总部,所以我们很担心家已经在炮火的攻击下被摧毁。

We'd also heard that many homes had been looted.

我们也听说很多房屋都被洗劫一空。

We held our breath as my father unlocked the gate.

当父亲卸下大门的门锁时,我们都屏息以待。

The first thing we saw was that in the three months we'd been away the garden had become a jungle.

我们第一眼看到的,就是离开三个月之后,我们的花园变成了丛林。

My brothers immediately rushed off to check on their pet chickens. They came back crying.

我的弟弟们马上冲去查看他们的宠物鸡,回来时满脸泪痕。

All that remained of the chickens was a pile of feathers and the bones of their small bodies entangled as if they had died in an embrace.

两只鸡留下的只有一堆羽毛和缠绕在一起的小小尸骨,仿佛它们是相拥而死的。

They had starved to death.

它们是被饿死的。

I felt so sad for my brothers but I had to check on something of my own.

我为弟弟们感到很难过,但我有自己的东西要确认。

To my joy I found my school bag still packed with my books, and I gave thanks that my prayers had been answered and that they were safe.

我的书包和里面的书本都还在,我很开心。我感谢上天应允了我的请求,让它们完好无缺。

I took out my books one by one and just stared at them.

我把书一本一本拿出来,凝视着它们:

Maths, physics, Urdu, English, Pashto, chemistry, biology, Islamiyat, Pakistan studies.

数学、物理、乌尔都语、英语、普什图语、化学、生物、伊斯兰米亚特(Islamiyat,伊斯兰宗教研习。),以及巴基斯坦研究。

Finally I would be able to return to school without fear.

我终于能够无所畏惧地回学校去了。

Then I went and sat on my bed. I was overwhelmed.

然后,我走过去坐在自己的床上,百感交集。